Put away those bags of potato chips cos this one’s for all those who want a healthy and tasty snack or even a full fledged brunch option that your taste buds, your health and the environment will love! I am a sucker for a good granola bowl myself – but why pay +$10 at a Surry Hills cafe, or $15 at Woolies for 200g, when you can easily bake a batch of your own at home! This would be a perfect option for you to use up that 1kg of oats and assortment of fruit, seeds and nuts in your pantry!
Check OAT our recipe inspired by Twopeasandtheirpod:
What you need:
- 1 & 1/2 cups oats (not quick oats)
- 1 cup pistachios*
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup apple-sauce*
- 1 1/2 tablespoons manuka honey ( or regular honey/disregard for vegan option)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil/coconut oil
- 1 cup chopped dried apples (cut apples and place into oven to dehydrate)
*Substitute for any types of nuts, seeds and dried fruit that you have at home or that tickles your fancy! There are definantely no rules!
What to do:
- Preheat oven at 150 degrees Celcius
- Mix all dry ingredients (oats, sugar, cinnamon, salt, pistachios) in large bowl
- Warm liquid ingredients (apple sauce, honey, oil) in a saucepan (or microwave if you’re lazy!)
- Combine the dry goodness with the liquid ingredients and mix like theres no tomorrow!
- Spread mixture evenly on a large baking sheet
- Bake for 45 minutes, stirring every 10 mins until golden. DRIED APPLES IN FOR THE LAST 10 MINUTES. *We overcooked the apples a bit so it ended up being extra crunchy, however if you like a chewy texture, just add the apples at the end.
- Let the granola cool, serve or store in an air tight container.
Check oat the video version of this recipe here!