We’ve been showing you a lot of practical ways you can turn your uneaten food into food porn. But now, let’s get to some serious business about food waste. Here are some facts that we think you need to know:
1. Australia, we waste about $8 Billion of food every year as a country
mo money mo problems
2. Thats equivalent to throwing out 1 in every 5 shopping bags of groceries
Repeat the Uneaten Matters affirmation for further guidance: “I will only buy what I need.”
3. Out of the $8 billion of food we waste, the majority of it is fresh food and leftovers
You know Julius (AKA Terry Crews) would not approve
4. If we look inside our garbage bins at least 40% of it consists of food
5. A lot of the times fresh food gets rejected before it even gets to the groceries because of our high standards
You know your boyfriend Ryan Gosling would say, “Hey girl, its the inside that really counts”
6. All of this food waste means we’re also using up resources such as fuel and water and contributing to global warming
7. And finally, if you are between 18-24 years old, you are one of the biggest wasters of food
Don’t worry we are as guilty as you are!
We’ve chosen these facts because they’ve spoken to us about the craziness of the food waste issue and Uneaten Matters is all about changing the way we think about food waste.
If any of these facts speak to you why don’t you pledge to save the world with us and tell ur friends about it too. We encourage you to take the time to talk about this issue with your friends and family so you can start to save the world together!
Let us know how you go and comment below with how you’re going to take a stance and save the world with us! Alternatively, you can talk to us our social media pages using the #uneatenmatters!